Vegan Italian Meatball Recipe: Coletta in NYC
Is there any dish more classically Italian than a meatball? Whether served on a sub, on a plate of spaghetti or simply swimming in a bowl of vegetable marinara, this meal can be traced back to the Roman empire. Now, with help from Coletta, diners all over the NYC area and beyond can enjoy this classic as they never have before: completely vegan! Find inspiration from the experts, or try your hand at this vegan Italian meatball recipe.
At Coletta, we care about more than just your pocketbook; we care about your overall dining experience. As the newest addition to the City Roots Hospitality family, Coletta takes pride in making cruelty-free living easier and more accessible than ever before.
Every bite on our expansive menu is kosher-certified and completely vegan, with gluten-free options available on request. Come down to our Gramercy Park location or place an order today to sample the flavors for yourself!
Puttanesca sauce is near as ancient a staple of Italian cuisine as the meatball itself. With a base of tomatoes, olives, capers, anchovies, and herbs, this bright, delicious sauce is so fragrant that legend describes men drifting into houses where it was being served, pulled in by the alluring scent.
When searching for the perfect flavors to showcase their vegan meatballs, the experts at Coletta turned to the best!
Free of anchovies, this vegan sauce derives its flavors from all fresh ingredients. Salty olives and brined capers add a bite to this dish, while bright, acidic Roma tomatoes bring the flavors back down to earth. Finally, housemade lemon brown butter sauce adds a creative flair to this ancient favorite.
Our completely vegan meatballs soak in the flavors of this sauce as they are delivered to your table, hot and steaming. Fresh vegan “mozzarella” adds the final touch, making this one of the most filling and hearty appetizers we have to offer.
Don’t forget to soak up every bit of the remaining sauce with help from a complimentary serving of garlic bread knots. Clean your plate and enjoy this dish to the last drop!
Homemade Vegan Italian Meatball Recipe
When it comes to making your own meatballs at home, We always recommend Impossible meat. With its savory flavor profile and rich color, this alternative makes vegan dining so simple that your dinner guests may need to be told about the substitution to even notice the difference!
To meal prep, make these meatballs in advance and enjoy them throughout the week. They make the perfect protein for any pasta, sandwich, pizza, or simply as a snack on their own.
- 1/3 cup of oat milk
2/3 cup of Italian breadcrumbs
2 packages of Impossible ground burger meat
2 tablespoons of vegan Worcester sauce
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of dried basil
1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
Drizzle of olive oil
- In a bowl, mix your breadcrumbs and oat milk. Set aside and allow them to soak until fully combined.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Separately, set an oven-safe pan– we recommend seasoned cast iron– to heat on the stove to medium-high heat.
- In a bowl, combine the Impossible burger with garlic and all herbs/seasonings. Slowly mix the soaked breadcrumb mixture in, using a wooden spoon or your hands until all the ingredients are completely mixed.
- Roll this mixture out into small “meatballs.” Size may vary.
- In your heated pan with olive oil, sear each meatball. This step is optional but will help seal much of the juicy flavor while adding an attractive color to your finished meal.
- Once you’ve seared every meatball, toss the full amount into the cast iron pan and transfer to the preheated oven. Bake for around ten minutes, until fully cooked.
- From here, you may enjoy your meatballs however you most prefer!
Comforting Classics at Coletta
These meatballs may be a memorable part of our full menu, but they are far from the end of what we have to offer!
Straight from the mind of Chef Guy Vaknin, enjoy comforting Italian Classics such as:
- Penne alla vodka served with fresh oregano and with gluten-free options available.
- Chick’n Linguini Alfredo done vegan with garlic cream sauce, bac’n, green onions, and “parmesan.”
- Baked rigatoni bolognese made from our Impossible bolognese sauce and served with fresh “mozzarella” and basil