Gluten-Free Fig Recipes: Coletta in NYC
One of the most complicated parts of dining with a group is finding a restaurant with something for everyone. It’s natural to want to support every guest’s dining preferences, but doing so often feels like an impossible task. The larger the group, the more delicate the balance of finding meals everyone can enjoy. To make this task easy, look for inclusive meal options with enough flavor and creativity to stun every guest, such as any of these gluten-free fig recipes!
The newest member of the City Roots Hospitality family, Coletta in NYC takes pride in making vegan dining options simple and delicious. We designed every item on our menu with the highest possible levels of care, guaranteeing that everyone can find a meal to love!
Wholesome Gluten-Free Fig Recipes
The key to elevating any recipe is taking advantage of delicious, rarely-seen ingredients and flavor combinations. Among all the possible options, figs reign supreme.
Though figs contain a naturally sweet flavor, their fresh, mild notes and intriguing texture make them the perfect way to enhance even savory flavors. Read on to learn more about different gluten-free ways to awe and inspire your dinner guests!
Savory Fig Flatbread
- 1 gluten-free flatbread
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup of arugula
1 cup of figs
1/2 a medium-sized purple onion
- 1/2 cup of green olives
1 sprig of fresh rosemary
Drizzle of agave nectar
Kosher salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
- Begin by slicing your purple onion into long, thin slices. Bring a small drizzle of olive oil in a pan up to medium-low heat, then begin caramelizing your onions. As the onions cook, stir gently and regularly to ensure that each bite cooks evenly.
- Cut the top off each fig, then slice each fig in half, longways. Place your figs in a single layer across a baking sheet (skin side against the pan) and drizzle them with agave nectar. Place under the broiler until each fig is softened and cooked, about four or five minutes.
- Brush the gluten-free flatbread with the remaining olive oil and toast in the oven until it is golden brown.
- All that remains is to assemble your ingredients! Begin by placing the arugula across the flatbread, using your toasty figs and hot, caramelized onions to hold the greens in place. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and finely chopped rosemary over the surface for flavor. Pine nuts provide a subtle flavor contrast, as well as a boost of protein and healthy fats.
Oatmeal Fig Cookie Bars
- 2 cups of figs
1 tablespoon of maple syrup
1 tablespoon of agave nectar
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 cup of gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup of almond flour
1/3 cup of coconut sugar
1/4 cup of coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- Begin by making your sweet jam filling. In a sauce pot, heat your figs, maple syrup, and agave nectar over medium heat. Cook slowly, stirring often. If the syrups appear to burn, a splash of cold water will solve the problem and prevent them from sticking to the sides.
- Once all ingredients are fully combined, remove from the heat, stir in the lemon juice, and allow to rest.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix your oats, almond flour, coconut sugar, and baking soda. Once combined, stir in your melted coconut oil.
- Press all but a small portion of your crumble mixture into the bottom of a baking dish. This mixture should be thoroughly pressed to avoid falling apart.
- Spread your fig filling across the surface of the crust, then sprinkle your remaining crumble over the surface.
- Bake at 375 degrees for roughly 18 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving. Optionally, placing these bars in the refrigerator for a while creates a cool, filling summertime treat!
Inclusive Dining at Coletta
For an easy alternative to preparing a complicated meal, treat your guests to a night out with the inclusive menu at Coletta! Our chefs have worked tirelessly to compile the perfect menu, with options designed to fit every itinerary.
Every starter, meal, and dessert in our restaurant is both vegan and certified kosher, with enough creativity and inspiration to keep even the strictest omnivores pleased. With gluten-free options across the entire spectrum– from brick-oven pizza to pasta– every guest is sure to find something to love!