Risotto: Gluten-Free Dishes at Coletta NYC
There’s no way around the truth: following a gluten-free diet can often come with its own unique set of challenges. Because so many popular dishes come from the exact foods that gluten-free diners are encouraged to avoid, it can be tricky to make sure you’re getting all the necessary iron, B vitamins, and fiber. Luckily, Coletta NYC is always ready to lend a helping hand, creating dishes like this vegan, gluten-free risotto packed with flavor!
As the newest member of the City Roots Hospitality family, Coletta in NYC takes pride in making gluten-free options as healthy as they are nutritious. Every item on our menu was created with the utmost care, ensuring that diners with any dietary requirement have equal access to a meal they’re sure to enjoy!
Whether you cook at home, treat your guests to a night out, or take advantage of pickup and delivery options, the brilliant minds at Coletta have your back!
Gluten-Free Classics at Coletta NYC
On nights when you just don’t have the energy to spare, turn to the experts to enjoy gluten-free dishes at Coletta NYC!
- The professional chefs at Coletta prepare their own “Scallop” and Sunchoke Risotto with the utmost patience, taking advantage of sunchoke puree to brighten up the earthy tones of the king oyster mushroom “scallops.”
- Alternatively, try our “Tuna” Crudo, which includes pickled red onions, capers, cracked black pepper, evoo, truffle caviar, and rosemary flatbread.
- Do you enjoy flatbread but avoid gluten? Try our Portobello Carpaccio on flatbread with caper berries, pickled red onions, dill, sea salt, cracked pepper, thyme, and rosemary.
Gluten-Free Risotto Recipe
Ricotta is frequently seen as one of the more difficult Italian classics an amateur cook can tackle, but this easy, at-home recipe is a breeze! Subtly flavored with classic Italian herbs and vegan parmesan cheese, it provides a beautiful jumping-off point for experimentation.
Hoping for more of an earthy, cozy flavor? Increase the number of mushrooms you include, and throw in some leeks for good measure! Like a little heat? Adding a pinch of red pepper flakes in the early stages is a great way to add that subtle kick.
Once you’ve found a way to master the texture of this dish, feel free to play around until you’ve created the perfect blend of flavors for your personal taste.
- 2 tablespoons of vegan butter
1 medium white onion
1/2 cup of dry white wine
1 1/2 cups of arborio
3 cups of gluten-free vegetable broth (warmed)
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup of fresh chopped parsley
Vegan parmesan (to taste)
Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Chop the onion into small, diced portions. Melt the vegan butter in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, and then cook the onion until it is fully tender and slightly browned. Add the chopped thyme leaves.
- Reduce the heat to medium or medium-low (depending on the oven), and add the wine to the onion mixture. Cook for about four minutes, until the alcohol has evaporated.
- Slowly stir the arborio rice into this mixture so it coats evenly and the onions are distributed. Cook for around five minutes, until the edges of the grains have just begun to cook in the remaining liquid.
- Stir in the warmed broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Each time the rice has absorbed one 1/2 cup portion, add the next until all the liquid has been fully cooked. As you do, stir every five minutes or more, allowing the rice to simmer in this mixture, uncovered.
- Once the rice has achieved a creamy, tender texture, stir in the vegan parmesan, chopped basil, and the desired amount of salt and pepper. Just before serving, sprinkle the surface with freshly chopped parsley.
Order Gluten Free Dishes like Risotto at Coletta in NYC
Our risotto is packed full of king oyster mushrooms and flavor. Micro seagrass and chili oil combine to create a balance of heat and ocean flavor that many associate with a traditional seafood risotto. Unlike the classic, which is often served with an overly-indulgent amount of cheese, this creamy vegan risotto has the perfect blend of decadence and nutrition, using only the ideal portion of cruelty-free “parmesan.”
Lastly, a generous serving of sunchoke chips ties the dish together, linking the complex flavors to create an entirely new take on this classic favorite!
At Coletta, you can rest easy knowing that you have gluten-free options that are delicious and satisfying. Every starter, meal, and dessert in our restaurant is both vegan and certified kosher, with enough creativity and inspiration to keep even the strictest omnivores pleased. With gluten-free options across the entire spectrum– from brick-oven pizza to pasta– every guest is sure to find something to love!
Want an easy night in, without the fuss or mess? Explore our menu and take advantage of our online ordering system to enjoy your dinner on the go!