Vegan Risotto at Coletta NYC
There is something satisfying about sitting down to a large, steaming bowl of perfectly prepared risotto. Hearty, rich in flavor, and filling enough to leave you satisfied for hours, it’s the ideal way to turn around a cold day. This vegan risotto at Coletta NYC is yet another example of how fulfilling a vegan lifestyle can truly be!
Coletta made a name for itself by serving Italian classics as you’ve never seen them before: fresh, kosher-certified, and completely vegan! Each dish on our expansive menu is designed for the ultimate dining experience, made with wholesome ingredients, and prepared to the highest possible standard.
Every bite on our expansive menu is kosher-certified and completely vegan, with gluten-free options available on request. Come to our Gramercy location or place an order today to sample the flavors for yourself!
Coletta’s Sunchoke and “Scallop” Risotto
Commonly associated with the hearty cuisine of Northern Italy, risotto often finds its balance through the inclusion of light, flavorful seafood. Now, with help from Coletta, you can enjoy that same seafood flavor without abandoning your ideals!
The professional chefs at Coletta prepare this risotto with the utmost patience, ensuring that every grain is perfectly prepared for a smooth, consistent texture. The sunchoke puree brightens up the earthy tones of the king oyster mushroom “scallops” in this dish, allowing for the best of both worlds.
A hearty serving of micro seagrass adds the characteristic “fishy” flavor of traditional scallops, while chili oil brings a subtle heat and depth of flavor. Most risotto runs the risk of coming off as too heavy with its spoonfuls of cheese, but this vegan alternative keeps things equally decadent with a perfect balance of cruelty-free “parmesan.”
A generous serving of sunchoke chips ties all the complex flavors of this dish together for a tasty finish you won’t soon forget!
Though this dish is best enjoyed in the gorgeous atmosphere of our restaurant, you can also order it to-gol. Enjoy this treat as a pick-me-up in the middle of the work day, or grab a serving on your way home to enjoy the ideal cozy night in.
Vegan Mushroom Risotto Recipe
Risotto is a reputably difficult dish to master, but with patience, care, and the right guidance, you’ll be sitting down to a beautiful bowl of homemade vegan risotto in no time!
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
3 tablespoons of olive oil
5 large garlic cloves, minced
7 cups vegetable broth
2/3 cup of white wine
1 large leek, cleaned and diced
2 cups arborio rice
- 2/3 cup of vegan parmesan
1 tablespoon white miso paste
1 tablespoon red miso paste
2 1/2 cups of mixed mushrooms, diced
2 tablespoons of fresh thyme leaves
Kosher salt and pepper (to taste)
- Using a fork, whip together the softened plant butter and miso paste.
- In a large frying pan, cook the mushrooms over high heat in a drizzle of olive oil until evenly browned. Stir occasionally to prevent burning. Reduce the heat to medium, and then stir in the chopped thyme and about half of the minced garlic.
- Lower the heat, and then stir in the butter/miso paste mixture. Season with salt and pepper, then cook over low heat until all the flavors have had a chance to meld. Turn off the heat and set this pan to the side.
- In a large saucepan, bring the vegetable broth to a gentle simmer.
- Heat a dutch oven or large, nonstick saucepan to medium heat. Add the risotto, along with another drizzle of olive oil. Add the diced leeks and remaining olive oil, then cover the dish. Allow the rice to toast as the leeks soften for around two minutes.
- Pour the white wine into the dutch oven, stirring quickly to prevent the vegetables from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Cook for around four minutes or until the smell of the alcohol has vanished.
- Ladle in 1 cup of warm veggie broth. Wait until the rice has absorbed this liquid, then add another cup of broth. Continue this pattern, stirring between spoonfuls, until all the vegetable broth has combined. Within about twenty to thirty minutes, the grains should be fully cooked.
- Once the risotto has cooked, stir in the mushrooms and allow to warm. Mix in salt, pepper, and parmesan to taste, and then enjoy a steaming bowl of creamy vegan risotto!
Italian Classics at Coletta
Curious about what else is in store? Keep exploring! This tasty vegan risotto may be one of the most popular items on our menu, but it is far from the end of what we have to offer!
Enjoy comforting Italian Classics such as
- Penne alla vodka served with fresh oregano and with gluten-free options available.
- Chick’n linguini alfredo made vegan with garlic cream sauce, bac’n, green onions, and “parmesan.”
- Baked rigatoni bolognese made from our Impossible bolognese sauce and served with fresh “mozzarella” and basil
To learn more about our tasty vegan dishes, explore our full menu or place an order today!