Vegan Panna Cotta at Coletta in NYC
Panna cotta: one of the world’s favorite Italian desserts. With its smooth texture and sweet flavor, today, it’s a widely accepted addition to afternoon tea, bridal showers, and cocktail parties worldwide. However, just as often, vegans write this dessert off as unsafe for their lifestyle. With help from professionally trained chefs, everyone can enjoy treats like this vegan panna cotta at Coletta in NYC.
Coletta was made to inspire whether you’re seeking innovative new flavors in person or on the go. Our chefs have learned the secret to creating truly crowd-pleasing vegan and kosher-certified meals, cooking every dish with fresh and high-quality ingredients.
Vegan Panna Cotta Recipe
Traditionally, panna cotta is a cream-based dessert cooked at a low temperature and thickened with gelatin. Because gelatin is created using strictly animal products, this means that in most restaurants, this delicious dessert has long been considered strictly off-limits to those following a vegan lifestyle.
By relying on plant-based milk and Kuzu starch rather than dairy or gelatin, this recipe empowers you to dine without fear.
Whether placing an order at Coletta or looking at new ways to enjoy a tasty classic, Coletta is here to help. With this tasty recipe, you’ll soon be able to indulge in a serving of panna cotta guilt-free, without fear of breaking from your moral ideals.
- 55 grams of kuzu starch
2 1/2 cups of oat milk
1/3 cup of agave syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup of fresh blueberries
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
2 tablespoons of coconut sugar
A pinch of salt
- Bring a thick-bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the kuzu, oat milk, agave syrup, vanilla extract, and salt, and whip together until all the ingredients are combined, and the kuzu has fully dissolved.
- Lower the heat, and allow the ingredients to simmer. Stir constantly for around ten minutes until the ingredients have thickened to a custard-like texture. You’ll know the sauce is ready when you can draw a line across the surface with the end of your spatula without it immediately filling in. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Use a damp rag to wet the inside of the glass serving containers; a bit of excess water prevents the panna cotta from sticking once cooled. While the panna cotta mixture is still warm, work quickly to pour it into the dish.
- Cover the surface of the panna cotta with plastic wrap and set it in the refrigerator until it solidifies, or at least one hour.
- As the panna cotta sets, make the blueberry sauce. Combine the blueberries, lemon juice, and coconut sugar in a separate saucepan. Cook over low heat for about five minutes, constantly stirring to prevent the sugar from burning. Once the sugar has dissolved, and the blueberries have broken down, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Once the panna cotta has set, remove the plastic wrap. To remove the panna cotta from the tray, place the mouth of the serving container against a wooden cutting board, then flip it upside down, allowing the panna cotta to fall onto the cutting board.
- Drizzle the cooled blueberry sauce over the surface of the treat.
- Cut the panna cotta into squares using a wet knife and enjoy!
Vegan Panna Cotta at Coletta
Still need more guidance on making this classic dish cruelty-free? No problem! Simply step into Coletta for a delicious vegan alternative you will never forget. The subtle flavors of vanilla and mint combine to form a unique twist on this dish, while sweetened strawberry coulis holds this dessert to its Italian roots.
When placing an order at Coletta, every diner can rest assured that they are investing in a meal they are guaranteed to enjoy. Whether vegan, kosher, or simply craving a tasty Italian meal, you will find it at Coletta.
Not feeling up to a night out but too tired to cook? No problem! Explore our menu, then use our easy online ordering system to place an order for pickup or delivery. Allow us to bring the flavor to you, and don’t waste another day without the pick-me-up you need!