Vegan Gnocchi at Coletta NYC
When it comes to Italian classics, nothing conjures a more comforting feeling than that of freshly prepared gnocchi. Simultaneously cozy and filling, these fluffy potato dumplings make the perfect comfort food as the weather finally cools. Whether you serve this dish as an appetizer or full meal, enjoy every last bite of the vegan gnocchi at Coletta in Gramercy, NYC!
At Coletta, we care: about your dinner, your planet, and your commitment to a cruelty-free lifestyle. As such, every item on our menu is both vegan and kosher certified, with numerous gluten-free options available on request. We hope to inspire the most delicious cruelty-free living possible…for New York and beyond! If you’re not able to enjoy a meal with us in person, don’t worry – you can follow our recipe for homemade vegan gnocchi made right in your kitchen.
To learn more about all Coletta has to offer, explore our blog. Check out our full menu, and place your order today.
Potato and “Ricotta” Gnocchi
Every recipe from Coletta starts with a classic Italian dish. From here, we use vegan alternatives and our own creative flair to create something new altogether. From the first bite to the last, you’ll be awed by how our expert chefs elevate each dish to new levels, all while maintaining the classic Italian charm.
Take, for example, our crowd-pleasing potato and “ricotta” gnocchi.
While traditional gnocchi usually comes with simple butter-sage sauce, our spin brings forth new flavor with a burst of extra nutrition. At Coletta, enjoy a broccoli pesto sauce that adds freshness to this naturally earthy dish, and of course a variety of vitamins and minerals too.
Rather than using traditional cheese, we utilize the flavors of exclusively vegan “ricotta” to ensure that every bite of this starter follows a plant-based lifestyle. A final sprinkling of toasted pine nuts enhances the earthy, homey nature of this dish.
This delicious, cruelty-free option is guaranteed to start your meal off on the perfect note. Place an order on your next visit, and allow every dinner guest the chance to bond over a shared culinary experience.
Vegan Gnocchi Recipe
A dinner party does not necessarily have to happen in a restaurant to be memorable. Show off your skills and advertise the virtues of cruelty-free living during your next gathering with this vegan gnocchi!
In this recipe, we keep things simple with the original take: fresh, pillowy gnocchi and a light “butter” sauce
- 3 large baked potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons of salt
2 cups of all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 5 cups of sliced baby Bella mushrooms
3 garlic cloves
3 tablespoons of fresh sage
1/4 cup of white wine
Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Start with fully cooked baked potatoes. Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, carefully peel the skin off, place the potatoes in a medium-large bowl, and mash thoroughly. Be sure that the final mixture is smooth, with no large chunks visible.
- Add olive oil, salt, and flour to the bowl and mix until all ingredients are fully combined. The resulting dough should be soft, malleable, and somewhat fluffy.
- Roll the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and begin shaping gnocchi. Start by separating the dough into quarters, then roll each section into a single rope. Using a fork, cut this rope into “dumplings” roughly an inch in length. If you’d like to keep things traditional, use the edges of your fork to lightly press a ridged design onto each dumpling.
- Bring a large quantity of water to boil in a pot over medium-high heat. Once the water has reached a rolling boil, add portions of your gnocchi. Allow them to cook for roughly 5 minutes, or until they float to the surface and remain there. Remove them from the water and set them aside to dry.
- Now is the time to begin your sauce. In a saute pan, melt the vegan butter. Crush or mince the garlic– however you most prefer– then sautee in the butter until golden and fragrant. Add the sliced baby Bella mushrooms and continue to cook for another five minutes.
- Stir in the white wine, then reduce to a simmer.
- Toss your cooked gnocchi and fresh sage into the butter sauce until fully and evenly coated. Top with a sprinkling of salt and pepper, then enjoy!
Italian Comfort Foods at Coletta
No one does Italian food quite like Coletta: with a touch of creativity and inspiration, all while keeping every dish completely vegan!
To sample the world-inspired flavors for yourself, come down to Coletta’s Gramercy Park location. Not feeling up to a night out, but too tired to cook? No problem! Explore our menu, then use our easy online ordering system to place an order for pickup or delivery.