Vegan Crispy Calamari Recipe: Coletta in NYC
Once a dish rises to popularity, its origin becomes murky. Where did this dish originate? How did it come to be such a worldwide favorite? Though calamari– otherwise known as fried squid– may be easily found in restaurants all over the globe, the name seems to suggest it is most at home on a traditional Italian menu. Now, make that dish at home in your own kitchen with help from the creative minds of the Coletta kitchen and this vegan crispy calamari recipe!
Coletta keeps things original as they serve up hot, fresh vegan takes on classic Italian dishes. Every item on our menu is both kosher certified and completely cruelty-free. Guests from all walks of life can enjoy seafood dishes with comfort like never before, without fear of breaking from their customs or diet.
With brick oven pizzas, hearty pasta dishes, and mouthwatering desserts, you’re guaranteed to find something you’ll love on our full menu. To sample the flavors firsthand, come to our Gramercy Park location or place an order for pickup/delivery today.
Crispy Calamari at Coletta
There’s no better way to start your meal off right than with the perfect starter. Ordering a bite to start allows you and your dinner guests to more easily relax, enjoy your time, and bond over delicious shared portions before the main event arrives at the table.
Curb your appetite over a plate of hot, crispy calamari at Coletta!
Our take on this globally-recognized classic is completely vegan, ensuring that everyone around the table can enjoy the same delicious snack. Lightly breaded and fried to a perfect crunch, our calamari is hearty enough to take the sting off your hunger without weighing you down: perfect for an afternoon snack or reprieve from a heavy meal!
Our housemade parsley lemon sauce provides the perfect backdrop for this seafood-inspired dish. The optional marinara leans instead into classic Italian flavors, showcasing a different side to every bite.
Finally, a squirt of fresh-squeezed lemon juice adds the perfect touch of brightness and acidity, ensuring that these tasty rounds will have you coming back for more.
Vegan Crispy Calamari at Home
Looking for a new way to spice up your dinner parties? Try your hand at this vegan crispy calamari recipe, right from the comfort of your own kitchen!
Made with a foundation of high-quality king mushrooms over real squid, these healthy alternatives have all the look and texture of traditional calamari. Because these durable mushrooms hold their shape well, they stand up to the crispy breading and slight manipulation it takes to obtain that signature round, “chip-like” look.
A simple basket of these before the start of a meal will leave your guests feeling satisfied, appreciated, and impressed!
- Approximately 6 king mushrooms (2 1/2 cups when chopped)
2/3 cup of almond milk
1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
1/4 cup of panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup of regular breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon of ground nori
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Begin by preparing your king mushrooms. Start by wiping the mushroom down with a damp cloth to clean it, then slice the stalks into thin disks, roughly 1/3 inch thick or so. Cut out the center of each disk to create an open “O” shape. Set aside the remains to be cooked into soups, used for stock, or fried later.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the two different types of breadcrumbs, along with your ground nori and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place the milk in a second bowl and the flour in a third.
- Wet each mushroom ring first in the plant milk, toss into the flour, then coat thoroughly in breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil to roughly 350 degrees, then allow each mushroom ring to fry until crispy and golden. Remove from the oil. For a less-greasy alternative, you may also consider baking these vegan calamari rings in the oven or air fryer.
- Once the rings have cooled, spritz with lemon juice and enjoy every bite!
Italian Classics with Coletta
Time in the kitchen is always time well spent, but frying can be a messy endeavor. For an easier alternative, order in from Coletta!
Our meals are designed to be just as delicious at home as they are in our gorgeously designed restaurant setting. We take care to pack our food in a way that keeps food fresh and delicious while having minimal impact on the planet. Whether you’re in the mood for a night out on the town or a cozy evening in, Coletta has you covered.
Explore our full menu, pick your new favorite meal, or place an order today.