Vegan Chicken Piccata at Coletta in NYC
Capers are a funny little ingredient. Derived as an immature bud from flowers of a caper bush, these tasty morsels gain most of their signature flavor from the salty brine in which they are soaked. Though they may initially seem a bit unusual, they are a staple of many of our city’s most favored Italian dishes. Such is the case with this delicious vegan chicken piccata at Coletta in NYC.
At Coletta, our professionally trained chefs use only the freshest, most delicious ingredients in the creation of our uniquely cruelty-free takes on Italian classics. In addition to researching the best way to obtain authentically Italian flavors, these chefs also source ingredients from all over the world, bringing every ounce of their global experience to play in every bite. Whether following a kosher diet, a cruelty-free lifestyle, or dining with a gluten allergy, our menu holds the perfect option for you!
Coletta’s Favorite Vegan Chicken Piccata
Balancing the unique flavor profiles in a vegan chicken piccata may not be an easy feat, but the expert styling of the Coletta kitchen make it appear so!
Our lemon caper sauce– made from vegan butter and only the freshest herbs and flavors– manages to somehow taste both rich and light, brightened by a spritz of real lemon juice. The “chicken” itself is prepared to perfection, with a light, flour-based crust that allows it to perfectly soak up every possible ounce of sauce.
You’ll relish the opportunity to swirl a bite of the baked lemon potatoes in the leftover sauce, using them as a platform to scoop up even more of the salty capers. Finally, an additional side of garlic broccolini adds a pop of fresh, green flavor, brightening up the appearance of this stunningly plated meal.
At Coletta, we understand that food is about far more than just flavor; it’s about the overall experience. As such, we take pride in cultivating a dining space fit to provide the most immersive, relaxing dining experience possible.
Designed by Studio RB, our space mixes romantic, vintage details with rustic materials. And our food combines indulgent flavors with positive health benefits. As you enjoy your meal, take in the custom floral murals, painted by none other than New York City’s own Lia Ali.
Homemade Vegan Chicken Piccata Recipe
Once you’ve gained an understanding of the complex flavor profiles that go into building this classic dish, it’s time to get started with your very own rendition! Don’t be intimidated. With time, patience, and a willingness to explore, you’ll be adding this recipe to your weekly meal circuit in no time.
- 16 ounces of linguini pasta
1 package of vegan chicken (amount according to preference)
1 cup of broth (vegetable or vegan chicken)
1/2 cup of flour
3 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil
5 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup of shallots
1/4 cup of vegan butter
1/3 cup of capers
1/4 cup of lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by preparing your protein. Coat your vegan chicken in flour– there is no need to use the full amount– and then pan-fry it with oil over medium heat until it is warmed. Set aside.
- Fully cook your linguine noodles. Before draining, set aside a small amount of pasta water.
- To make your sauce, begin by peeling and dicing your shallots and garlic. Mince both to the desired consistency, and then brown in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Combine the vegan butter and capers into the mixture, stirring consistently to ensure even cooking. Add the broth and allow the mixture to simmer for around four minutes.
- Lower the heat to low or remove from heat entirely. Add the lemon juice, red pepper flakes, desired salt, and pepper. Separate a small portion of the sauce for drizzling.
- Stir a splash of pasta water into the sauce. Then, toss the linguine into the sauce.
- To plate this dish, start by portioning out the pasta. Set the fully cooked vegan chicken over the surface, and then drizzle it with the reserved sauce. For extra flair, consider adding a sprinkling of fresh parsley!Delicious Italian Options at Coletta in NYC
Delicious Italian Options at Coletta in NYC
In spending an evening at Coletta, you receive more than just a meal; you enjoy a true culinary experience. From start to finish, every bite has been designed with creativity and authenticity in mind. To take advantage of all that Coletta has to offer, feel free to indulge in a glass of wine from our fully stocked bar.