Vegan Carpaccio at Coletta NYC
Originally invented in 1963 in Venice, Italy, carpaccio is a true Italian classic…but don’t feel bad if you’ve never sampled this dish; plenty may not find it appetizing. Consisting of layers of thinly sliced meat– typically served raw– this dish has a history that is as controversial as it is popular. For a delicious, more inclusive alternative, turn to the vegan carpaccio at Coletta, NYC!
Coletta takes pride in being able to offer creative, inspired takes on classic Italian dishes. Every item on our varied menu is vegan and certified kosher, guaranteeing that any diner has the option of a mouthwatering Italian meal! This vegan carpaccio turns the classic on its head, managing to turn this meat-centric dish into something for everyone.
To find out more about other classics that Coletta has transformed, explore our full menu. Come to our Gramercy Park location, or place an online order for pickup or delivery today!
to our Gramercy Park location, or place an online order for pickup or delivery today!
Coletta’s Portobello Carpaccio
Rather than a base of meat, this delicate appetizer finds its flavor in thinly sliced layers of portobello mushrooms. Every bite is seasoned to perfection by the professionally trained artists behind our kitchen doors.
Caper berries and pickled red onion introduce an element of salty bite to this dish, adding crispness and crunch to every piece. A final sprinkling of fresh thyme, salt, and cracked black pepper deepens the flavor profile, while dill and oregano lighten it up once more.
Served on a warm, steaming flatbread, this appetizer is one for the books!
To make the most of every bite, ask your waiter about the ideal wine pairings for this dish. Our fully staffed bar is open and ready to serve you.
Homemade Vegan Carpaccio Recipe
As mouth watering as a properly prepared portobello can be, it is entirely understandable to feel as if that may not be what is best suited to meet your craving. For an earthier, more colorful twist on this dish, try this beetroot vegan carpaccio recipe out for size!
- 4 beetroots
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (plus extra for drizzling)
1 1/2 teaspoons of mustard
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon of minced garlic
1 1/ tablespoon of maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons of pine nuts
1 tablespoon of chopped cashews
Spritz of lemon juice
Kosher salt (to taste)
Cracked black pepper (to taste)
- Begin by preparing your beetroot. Remove any remaining greenery, wash the root, and scrub until all the dirt embedded into the skin has been removed. Once dried, coat each beetroot in a layer of olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap each beetroot in tin foil and allow it to bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour and fifteen minutes.
- As the beetroots cook, prepare your dressing. Mix olive oil, maple syrup, mustard, and balsamic until you’ve created a smooth blend. The mustard is highly important to this step; without it, the olive oil and balsamic will refuse to properly mix.
- Season your dressing with minced garlic, salt, and pepper until it has reached the desired flavor.
- Once the beetroots have fully cooked, remove them from the oven and allow them ample time to cool. Cut away the toughened top to each beetroot. From here, you should be able to easily cut each beetroot into thin slices, which you can arrange on a plate as you see fit.
- Drizzle your dressing over the surface of your “beetroot carpaccio,” squirt with a spritz of fresh lemon juice, then garnish the plate with chopped cashews and pine nuts. Have fun showing off this colorful dish to all your dinner guests! Rest assured; it is just as much fun to eat as it is to look at.
Vegan Takes on Italian Classics with Coletta
Coletta proves it once and for all: with a touch of creativity and willingness to experiment, there’s no reason that every dish can’t come with a plant-based, cruelty-free counterpart. Our chefs are trained to think outside the traditional box of Italian cuisine and bring a new layer of depth to every dish. Regardless of how much cheese, meat, or cream may exist in the traditional version, Coletta is ready and waiting to serve their elevated vegan take!
Consider these fresh, plant-based alternatives to classically meat-based dishes:
- Chick’n Linguini Alfredo, made fresh with sautéed chick’n, garlic cream sauce, bac’n, green onions, and a sprinkling of vegan “parmesan”
- Baked Rigatoni Bolognese with a thick, savory Impossible bolognese sauce, “mozzarella,” and fresh green basil
- “Tuna” Crudo served with pickled red onions, capers, cracked black pepper, evoo, truffle caviar, oregano flatbread
- Crispy Calamari made entirely vegan with a lemon sauce, herb marinara, and a spritz of fresh lemon
- Puttanesca “Meatballs” made from Impossible meat and seasoned with lemon brown butter sauce, capers, kalamata olives, Roma tomatoes, and “mozzarella,” served with a side of parsley garlic knots
Curious about what else Coletta brings to the table? Come to our restaurant in Gramercy Park, place an order for pickup or delivery, or find inspiration in our diverse, inclusive menu!
Click here to add your own text