Pizza is more than just a meal; when done right, it can be a fun project. Whether you are trying to entertain the kids on a rainy Saturday afternoon or elevate your date night to something truly memorable, making a pizza completely from scratch is a great way to fill your time and enjoy a new skill. With this easy vegan pizza dough recipe, you can savor your favorite meal cruelty-free!
As the foundation of your pizza, it is vital that your vegan pizza dough crust be both dense enough to hold your toppings and light enough not to overwhelm the cheesy flavor. This simple, recipe has everything you need!
Coletta is always ready with tips and tricks to help vegans all over NYC– and beyond– make the most of their cruelty-free lifestyle. Explore our menu to learn more about how we bring Chef Guy Vaknin’s fresh take to Italian classics and place an order today.
Pizza Dough Tips
Though pizza dough occasionally makes use of egg, in most cases, this is a recipe that’s nearly always “accidentally vegan!” To make sure your ingredients bind properly and maintain the best flavor, however, it’s best to start your recipe with a few of these easy, helpful tips.
Check the Temperature of Your Water
As is the case with most bread products, vegan pizza dough uses yeast. Before starting your recipe, you will want to ensure your water is warm enough to activate your yeast. The temperature should fall between 95 degrees Fahrenheit and 130, depending on what form of yeast you use.
A fresh yeast cake needs the lowest temperature to proof at 95 degrees, but it is admittedly rare to find a person regularly using a fresh yeast cake for pizza dough. Active dry yeast, the most common powdered form, by far, multiplies at around 105 degrees and can withstand temperatures of up to 110 degrees Fahrenheit. Because instant yeast is typically mixed with flour first, it requires the hottest water: 120 to 130 degrees Fahrenheit.
Consider Olive Oil an Investment
If you’ve ventured into the world of Italian cooking, you likely already know the benefits of high-quality olive oil: smoother texture, better flavor, and purer quality.
Though it is not necessary to use your most expensive olive oil in the cooking process of this dough, a light drizzle of your favorite olive oil over the surface of your cooked dough can provide a boost of antioxidants as well as improved taste.
Vegan Pizza Dough Recipe
Without further ado, enjoy this easy vegan pizza dough!
- Four cups of all-purpose flour or bread flour
- 3 tablespoons of yeast
- 1 2/3 cup of heated water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + additional
- 1 teaspoon salt
Note: For a gluten-free pizza, be sure to use gluten-free flour and adjust all ingredients accordingly.
- Begin by activating the yeast, using the above tips to ensure your water is heated to the perfect temperature. Remember, only instant yeast should be mixed directly into the flour before activation! All other yeasts should be activated prior to mixing. Allow roughly ten to fifteen minutes for your yeast to bloom.
- After your yeast has been activated, slowly stir in the rest of your water, salt, olive oil, and flour. Mix the dough for around 6-9 minutes, until all your ingredients are fully integrated and sticky to the touch.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead your dough until it reaches a smooth, consistent texture. Using a drizzle of olive oil, coat the sides of a large bowl. Place your freshly-formed dough into the bowl, cover, and set in a warm area until the dough has doubled in size.
- Once the dough has fully risen, gently punch it down, divide it in half, and roll each half into a medium-sized ball. On a floured surface, carefully flatten each ball until your crust has reached the desired size and thickness.
- From here, feel free to cover your vegan pizza dough with your favorite sauce, vegan cheese, and toppings.
- To finish, bake your pizza for roughly ten to thirteen minutes in an oven preheated to 475 degrees.
Brick Oven Fired Pizza with Coletta
Even a pizza dough as easy as this takes some time; on days when you’re too busy for the extra effort, leave the pizza up to the experts at Coletta! Every pizza on our menu is vegan (including the toppings) with plenty of gluten-free options, ensuring an equally exciting dining experience for every guest!
While a home oven can only safely reach a certain temperature, every pizza at Coletta is fired at the highest heat to the greatest success. Our custom brick oven easily reaches the temperatures required to produce the chewiest, crunchiest crust. You’ll know a Coletta pizza by the signature crispy edges.
To sample the innovative flavor combinations for yourself, come down to our brand-new Gramercy Park location or place an order for pickup or delivery!